Our Commitment to the Environment and our Community
As an environmentally responsible member of the Los Gatos dentist community, our office is committed to exceeding standards in the conservation of natural resources and prevention of pollution and waste through our daily practices. Listed below are just a few of the practices our office has adopted as a Green Business that you may not be aware of:
- We participate in the PG&E Climate Smart Program where participants fund environmental projects that reduce and offset greenhouse gas emissions.
- Our website is hosted by 100% wind energy. The company used to host our website offsets their electricity use with wind-generated Renewal Energy Certificates, which prevent the release of 2,660 metric tons of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere each year. The benefit to the environment is equivalent to planting about 2,390 acres of trees or not driving 6.1 million miles.
- We use digital x-rays that eliminate the use and disposal of developers, fixers and lead foil, chemicals that are harmful to the environment.
- We use an amalgam separator that captures any amalgam (silver) filling material once it is removed from the mouth and separates it from the water line so that mercury and other components of the filling do not end up in our water system.
- We are a mercury free office. We use tooth colored, mercury free fillings.
- We recycle all office materials when possible and buy recycled office supplies and use rechargeable batteries.
- We save paper by using digital forms, electronic sticky notes, reusing scratch paper on internal documents, and offering e-mail appointment reminders at your request.
- Scrap metals (i.e. old crowns) are sent to a metal recycling facility. The proceeds we receive are donated to promote other environmental initiatives.
- We shop locally to support the local economy, small business, and reduce traffic congestion and gas emissions.
We continually strive to improve our daily practices. Please feel free to share your ideas or consult a staff member to find out what you, as a patient, can do to help the environment.